A.S. in Vocational Nursing
Successful completion of the program studies allows the student to become eligible to take the State Board Examination for Licensed Vocational Nurse (NCLEX).
Students receiving this degree must meet the following requirements:
- Complete the District General Education Pattern, CSUGE or IGETC.
If transferring to a CSU or UC students are strongly recommended to complete the CSUGE or IGETC General Education Patterns. Students looking to transfer to an out of state or private college should consult with a counselor for the appropriate GE pattern selection.
- Complete with a “C” or better each course as specified by the major.
- Maintain an overall GPA of a 2.0 or better in all degree applicable coursework.
- Meet the local area requirement of Kinesiology/Dance.
|VNRS 150||Fundamentals of Nursing||3|
|VNRS 151L||Fundamentals of Nursing Lab||3|
|VNRS 152||Pharmacology I||1|
|VNRS 153||Introductory Nutrition for the Vocational Nurse||1|
|VNRS 154||Body Structure Function for the Vocational Nurse I||1.5|
|VNRS 155||Social Psychology for the Vocational Nurse||1|
|VNRS 160||Medical - Surgical Nursing I||3|
|VNRS 161L||Medical - Surgical Nursing I Lab||3|
|VNRS 162||Pharmacology II||1|
|VNRS 163||Diet Therapy for the Vocational Nurse||1|
|VNRS 164||Body Structure and Function for the Vocational Nurse II||1.5|
|VNRS 165||Adult Growth and Development for the Vocational Nurse||1|
|VNRS 170||Medical-Surgical Nursing II||7|
|VNRS 171L||Medical-Surgical Nursing II Lab||7|
|VNRS 172||Advanced Pharmacology||2|
|VNRS 173||Psychology for Vocational Nurses||2|
|VNRS 180||Pediatric Nursing||3.5|
|VNRS 181||Growth and Development: Infancy-Adolescence||1|
|VNRS 182||Obstetrical-Gynecological Nursing||4|
|VNRS 183||Leadership in Nursing||3|
A.S. Degree Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Vocational Nursing A.S. Degree will:
- Use correct medical terminology and nomenclature, in the correct context, in order to effectively communicate health/ medical information and concepts to others.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform accurate calculations of intake and output, drug dosages, and IV rates.
- Develop problem-solving and self-assessment skills and make appropriate decisions regarding a variety of procedural situations.
- Demonstrate the ability to interact with patients and work effectively as a member of the health care team.
- Develop the ability to use and adapt to current technologies used in the healthcare setting.
- Provide patient care that falls within the scope of practice as set forth by the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT).