ADT in Theatre Arts
The discipline of theatre arts includes theoretical and practical courses in all aspects of theatre, providing preparation in acting, directing, and technical theatre through productions. The degree program allows for a course of study that expands and increases creativity. It is a meaningful journey of personal discovery and self-expansion. It connects the study of script analysis to creating complex characters or theatrical designs. In addition, a solid foundation of fundamental skills learned through a variety of performance as well as technical theatre courses will help the student build confidence and emphasize the importance of responsibility, dedication, collaboration and commitment.
This degree provides lower division preparation for students planning to transfer into Theatre Arts programs. Students who complete this degree will be guaranteed admission with junior status to the California State University system, though not to a particular campus or major, and will be given priority admission to our local CSU campus.
Students receiving this transfer degree must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education - Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
ADTs also require that students must earn a "C" or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. A “P” (Pass) grade is not an acceptable grade for courses in the major.
|THEA 101||Introduction to Theatre Arts||3|
|THEA 201||Stage Acting I - Beginning||3|
|THEA 125||Technical Theatre Production||3|
|or THEA 210||Rehearsal and Performance in Production|
|Select three (3) of the following courses: 1|
|Introduction to Tech for Theatre, TV and Film||3|
|Technical Theatre Production||3|
|Introduction to Lighting for Theatre, Television and Film||3|
|The Art of the Theatre||3|
|Stage Acting II - Intermediate||3|
|Rehearsal and Performance in Production||3|
A course may be used only once to fulfill the degree requirements.
A.A.-Transfer Degree Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Theatre Arts A.A.-Transfer Degree will:
- Demonstrate acting techniques in a performance setting.
- Exhibit fundamental knowledge of play structure and analysis.
- Demonstrate a fundamental knowledge in core theatre elements, including acting, technical theatre, and theatre history.