Certificate in Public Works Administration
This certificate of achievement program is designed to prepare students for promotional positions in the public works sector. Job opportunities include:
- public works inspector,
- public works maintenance lead worker,
- maintenance supervisor,
- street division supervisor,
- public works superintendent,
- and field operations manager positions.
Instruction in an overview for field personnel of the basic elements of the Public Works industry and an introduction to administrative responsibilities and planning is emphasized in the coursework.
|PUB 151||Street Construction and Maintenance||3|
|PUB 155||Public Works Construction Inspection||3|
|PUB 157||Asphalt and Portland Cement Concrete||3|
|PUB 161||California Occupational Safety and Health||3|
|PUB 164||Plan Reading and Cost Estimating||3|
|PUB 166||Supervision in Public Works||3|
Certificate of Achievement Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Public Works Administration Certificate of Achievement will:
- Demonstrate effective communication, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate the ability to estimate quantities and costs for the bidding process in a public works construction project.
- Explain how to effectively use resources to deliver Public Works capital construction and/or infrastructure maintenance projects.
- Demonstrate the ability to use current technology related to the construction and maintenance process.
- Interpret construction documents (contracts, specifications, and drawings) requirements applied in public works construction projects.
- Recognize basic construction means, methods, materials and equipment employed in public works construction and maintenance.
- Understand the quality assurance & control measures employed in public works, emphasizing the importance of the need for quality and longevity of capital construction and maintenance projects
- Recognize basic safety hazards on a construction site and standard prevention measures.
- Discuss basic principles of ethics in Public Works.
There are a variety of careers you can do with this major.
To explore more about this major, schedule an appointment with a career counselor.