Skill Award in Emergency Medical Technician
|HEAL 161||Emergency Medical Technician - Basic||7|
Skill Award Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Emergency Medical Technician Skill Award will:
- Use correct medical terminology and nomenclature in the correct context in order to effectively communicate health/medical information and concepts to others.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical responsibilities of an EMT and other healthcare providers.
- Calculate various I.V. drip rates for patients undergoing I.V. therapy.
- Develop problem solving and self-assessment skills and make appropriate decisions regarding a variety of procedural situations.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of common medical emergencies related to various body systems.
- Demonstrate the ability to interact with patients and work effectively as a member of the emergency medical services team.
- Discuss various EMS systems both local/state and international.
- Develop the ability to use and adapt to current technology used in emergency medical services practices.
- Demonstrate understanding of administering patient prescribed drugs to patients.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the current duties of an EMT, practicing within scope of practice.