Academic records consist of student files maintained by Admissions and Records, Counseling and Assessment, Financial Aid, and individual departments.
Past performance does not always accurately reflect a student’s current ability. Therefore, Citrus College has a policy of academic renewal without course repetition so students may achieve their educational goals in spite of past poor performance.
Criteria for Academic Renewal
Students may request academic renewal as a means to achieve the educational goals of graduation from Citrus College, completion of certificate programs, and/or transfer to a four-year college or university. It is not applicable to students who wish to raise their grade point averages beyond these stated goals.
- Only units taken at Citrus College may be disregarded, not units from other colleges.
- A maximum of 24 units may be alleviated from not more than three terms of work.
- A minimum of 18 months must have elapsed since the end of the term of substandard work to be disregarded.
- In the most recent work completed after the work to be disregarded, a minimum of 15 units must be completed at any accredited college or university, with a grade point average of a 3.0, or 30 units with at least a 2.5 GPA, or 45 units with at least a 2.0 GPA. In cases where the criteria set forth herein have been verified, the academic renewal petition will be granted and the dean of enrollment services or his/ her designee will make the proper annotation on the student’s permanent record.
- A student may only be granted academic renewal once.
- Only substandard grades of D, F, FW, NC, or NP can be disregarded.
- A student that received a degree or certificate at Citrus College may not academically renew courses used to meet the graduation requirements for that degree or certificate.
Academic renewal by Citrus College does not guarantee that other institutions will honor the elimination of units from consideration in the grade point average. It is a student’s responsibility to confirm with a transfer institution whether academic renewal will be accepted. When academic renewal is approved, the student’s permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, ensuring a true and complete academic history.
If the student has been granted academic renewal by another accredited college, such action shall be honored under this policy. However, the number of semester units allowed to be disregarded will be reduced by the number previously disregarded.
See Transcripts under Admissions and Registration section.