Certificate in Literature
This Certificate of Achievement requires the successful completion of twelve units of literature courses and may be used as verification of literature knowledge or competency for entry-level jobs in fields such as tutoring, editing and publishing, journalism, theatre and entertainment.
|Select one (1) of the following reading and composition courses:|
|Reading and Composition||3|
|Reading and Composition - Honors||3|
|Select one (1) of the following English literature courses:|
|Introduction to English Literature I||3|
|Introduction to English Literature II||3|
|Select one (1) of the following U.S. American literature courses:|
|Introduction to U.S. American Literature I||3|
|Introduction to U. S. American Literature II||3|
|Select one (1) of the following world literature courses:|
|Introduction to World Literature: Ancient - Early Modern||3|
|Introduction to World Literature: 1600's through Twentieth Century||3|
Certificate of Achievement Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Literature Certificate of Achievement will:
- Critically analyze and evaluate the subtext of literature selections in order to demonstrate knowledge of literary terminology.
- Employ established modes of reasoning in the defense and development of thesis/judgments to clearly demonstrate knowledge of critical analysis tools in all written work.
- Identify and evaluate the writer’s use of literature as a persuasive tool to identify and assess the effectiveness of literary works.
- Critically analyze and synthesize source material to demonstrate ability to write at the college level.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness, personal responsibility, and ethical behavior in evaluating and writing about literature.