ADT in Public Health Science
The Associate in Science in Public Health Science for Transfer focuses on an understanding of the health of populations. This degree is designed to prepare students in the study of public health science and provide comprehensive preparation for upper-division work. Students choosing this degree program will study a range of topics related to human health and disease including: core functions and disciplines of public health; human anatomy and physiology; diseases and their causes, including risk factors; distributions of diseases; primary prevention strategies; and behavior-change theory and application. Students will be gain understanding of the biopsychosocial basis for health and healthy populations. Further, they will be able to understand and assess the burden of disease on the health of populations, including the impact of environmental exposures; use of data to support evidence based practices; develop and deliver health programs and interventions that are based on behavior frameworks; and evaluate health programs and initiatives for effectiveness. Public Health Science bridges the gap between scientific discoveries and the application of this knowledge to improve the quality of life.
CSU Major(s): Health Science, Health Science with Health Education option, Health Science with Public Health option, Health Science with Community Health option, Health Science with Health Promotion & Disease Prevention, Health Education, Public Health, Public Health Promotion, Kinesiology with Health Education, Kinesiology with Health Science option, Kinesiology with Health and Wellness Promotion, Kinesiology with Health Promotion and Disease Prevention and Collaborative Health and Human Services with Community Health option.
Students receiving this transfer degree must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education - Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
ADTs also require that students must earn a "C" or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. A “P” (Pass) grade is not an acceptable grade for courses in the major.
|KIN 168||Introduction to Public Health||3|
|KIN 171||Health and Wellness||3|
|or KIN 171H||Health and Wellness - Honors|
|BIOL 105||General Biology||4|
|or BIOL 105H||General Biology - Honors|
|BIOL 200||Human Anatomy||4|
|BIOL 201||Human Physiology||4|
|CHEM 111||General Chemistry||5|
|MATH 165||Introductory Statistics 1||4|
|or MATH 165H||Introductory Statistics - Honors|
|PSY 101||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|or PSY 101H||Introduction to Psychology - Honors|
|Select one (1) of the following courses:|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|Principles of Macroeconomics - Honors||3|
|Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|Introduction to Sociology||3|
MATH 165 is degree applicable with or without MATH 065. If taken with MATH 065, only the units for MATH 165 will be counted towards the degree.
A.S.-Transfer Degree Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Public Health Science A.S.-Transfer Degree will:
- Student will be able to assess the burden of disease on the health of populations, including the impact of environmental exposures, and use data to support evidence based practices.
- Students will understand the roles of health promotion, health protection, population health, and epidemiology in public health.
- Students will be prepared for transfer as a Public Health Science major.