A.S. in Kinesiology
Kinesiology studies human anatomy and physiology and the mechanics of body movement both theoretically and in practice through physical activities. A diverse curriculum includes lower division theory courses designed for those who want to complete an Associate in Science in Kinesiology and meet transfer requirements. There is also a basic instructional program with a wide variety of movement experiences for the development of physical activity skills and the knowledge necessary for lifetime wellness. An intercollegiate athletic program offers performance-oriented students opportunities for competition. Kinesiology also offers adapted activities curriculum for students with disabilities.
Students receiving this degree must meet the following requirements:
- Complete the District General Education Pattern, CSUGE or IGETC.
If transferring to a CSU or UC students are strongly recommended to complete the CSUGE or IGETC General Education Patterns. Students looking to transfer to an out of state or private college should consult with a counselor for the appropriate GE pattern selection.
- Complete with a “C” or better each course as specified by the major.
- Maintain an overall GPA of a 2.0 or better in all degree applicable coursework.
- Meet the local area requirement of Kinesiology/Dance.
|Select twelve (12) to eighteen (18) units from the following courses:|
|Introduction to Kinesiology||3|
|Introduction to Coaching||3|
|Fitness for Life||3|
or KIN 171H
|Health Science - Honors|
|Introduction to Physical Education||3|
|Nutrition for Fitness||3|
|Introduction to Team Sports||3|
|Introduction to Individual and Dual Sports||3|
|Elementary School Physical Education||3|
|First-Aid Responding To Emergencies||3|
|Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries||3|
|May select an additional two (2) to six (6) units from the following courses:|
|Aquatic Theory and Techniques||2|
|Varsity Sport Courses|
|Women's Varsity Soccer||3|
|Women's Varsity Volleyball||3|
|Women's Varsity Basketball||2|
|Women's Varsity Softball||2|
|Varsity Cross Country||3|
|Men's Varsity Football||3|
|Men's Varsity Basketball||2|
|Men's Varsity Baseball||2|
|Men's Varsity Golf||3|
|Women's Varsity Golf||3|
|Men's Varsity Water Polo||3|
|Women's Varsity Water Polo||3|
|Men's Varsity Soccer||3|
|Intercollegiate Basketball for Men||1|
|Intercollegiate Basketball for Women||1|
A.S. Degree Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Kinesiology A.S. Degree will:
- Identify the dimensions of wellness and recognize positive characteristics of each dimension in order to live a healthier lifestyle.
- Demonstrate competency in fundamental techniques to improve individual sport specific skills.
- Determine current level of fitness as measured by one or more of the following tests: resting heart rate, blood pressure, sit and reach flexibility, skin fold measurements, muscular endurance tests, and cardiovascular sub maximal test.