A.S. in Business - Accounting Emphasis
The Associate’s Degree in Science in Business - Emphasis in Accounting provides lower division preparation for students planning to transfer into a business administration program at a four-year university. Students will take courses in business as well as related fields required for business majors.
This degree can lead students into one of several areas of concentration at four-year universities, such as accounting, business management, finance, human resource management, international business, and marketing.
Check with an academic advisor to confirm if the elective accounting courses taken as part of this degree will receive unit credit and/or subject area credit at the university level.
Students receiving this degree must meet the following requirements:
- Complete the District General Education Pattern, CSUGE or IGETC.
If transferring to a CSU or UC students are strongly recommended to complete the CSUGE or IGETC General Education Patterns. Students looking to transfer to an out of state or private college should consult with a counselor for the appropriate GE pattern selection.
- Complete with a “C” or better each course as specified by the major.
- Maintain an overall GPA of a 2.0 or better in all degree applicable coursework.
|ACCT 101||Financial Accounting||4|
|or ACCT 101H||Financial Accounting - Honors|
|ACCT 102||Managerial Accounting||4|
|or ACCT 102H||Managerial Accounting - Honors|
|BUS 152||Business Communications||3|
|BUS 160||Business Law and the Legal Environment I||3|
|ECON 101||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|or ECON 101H||Principles of Macroeconomics - Honors|
|ECON 102||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|MATH 165||Introductory Statistics||4|
|or MATH 165H||Introductory Statistics - Honors|
|OFF 120||Microsoft Excel||3|
|Select one (1) of the following courses:|
|Calculus for Business and Social Sciences||4|
|Calculus with Analytic Geometry l||5|
|Select six (6) units minimum from the following courses:|
|Income Tax Accounting||4|
|Taxation of Business Entities||4|
|Computerized Income Tax Preparation||2|
|Tax Practices and Procedures||3|
|Intermediate Accounting I||3|
|Intermediate Accounting II||3|
A.S. Degree Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Business - Accounting Emphasis A.S. Degree will:
- Acquire the ability to communicate effectively within business organizations.
- Apply critical thinking skills and analytical skills relating to business and accounting issues.
- Understand the role of business management and how it impacts organizational performance.
- Apply basic accounting concepts and prepare financial reports to support business decision-making.
There are a variety of careers you can do with this major.
To explore more about this major, schedule an appointment with a career counselor.