Certificate in Writing Competency
This certificate of achievement requires the successful completion of twelve units of English composition course work and may be used as verification of writing competency for entry-level jobs in fields including:
- composition tutoring,
- editing and publishing,
- theater and entertainment,
- freelance writing,
- university or college teacher assisting.
|Select one (1) of the following reading and composition courses:|
|Reading and Composition||4|
|Reading and Composition - Honors||4|
|Reading and Composition||5|
|Select one (1) of the following composition and critical thinking classes:|
|Composition and Critical Thinking||3|
|Composition and Critical Thinking - Honors||3|
|Select one (1) of the following courses:|
|Reporting and Writing News||3|
|Introduction to Literature||3|
|Film as Literature||3|
|Film as Literature - Honors||3|
|Required rhetoric course:|
|ENGL 104||Argumentative Writing and Critical Thinking||3|
Certificate of Achievement Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Writing Competency Certificate of Achievement will:
- Employ a variety of rhetorical techniques in order to write multi-paragraph essays.
- Use correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization in order to demonstrate knowledge of the conventions of the English language.
- Use the Internet and word processing programs in order to compose and revise written work.
- Critically analyze and synthesize source material to demonstrate ability to write at the college level.